Tuesday, June 7, 2022

Your disability is your superpower

 Now that Love Island is back on our screens, I thought it was an appropriate time to do a blog.. if you’re thinking of stopping here because you don’t watch it, fear not it’s not my view on the first episode…


This year they decided to announce there was a deaf contestant joining the villa. Many people like myself probably thought this is great news to bring in a more diverse cast. I wondered how they would tell other contestants, would they just know or would there be an announcement? Well last night, Tasha pulled all of them by the fire pit to tell them about it and described it as her ‘superpower’.


I loved how she did this, there was no shame towards it and you could tell she just wanted to get it out the way so that people didn’t ask questions or she felt uncomfortable. I loved her attitude towards it and I feel like it’s not something to be ashamed of, she seems to have such a positive attitude towards it. 


I’m always quite open with telling people about my MS when its appropriate. My life is slightly different than getting in a villa with a bunch of people but I think it’s important to tell people about disabilities so they can fully understand how it impacts your life. However I don’t pull people for chats around fire pits, more likely on a team call…


I assume they’ll be some conversations within the villa about her experience and people will want to learn more about it. I always like when people ask me about my MS, I don’t expect people to know, why would they? I’d rather get asked than them being scared to say the wrong thing.


All disabilities are different and I think if you’re quite positive about them you deal with it better generally. I sometimes forget I have MS unless my body reminds me about it. Your disability doesn’t define you and I’m excited to see how ITV adapt the show for Tasha. 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment